Michigan State Football Facing NCAA Probe Over Mel Tucker Era Violations
Michigan State Football Under NCAA Investigation for Violations During Mel Tucker Era
The Michigan State football team is reportedly being investigated by the NCAA for alleged recruiting violations that occurred during Mel Tucker’s tenure as head coach. Tucker led the Spartans from 2020 to 2023 before being dismissed following a sexual harassment incident. He later sued the university, but no decisions have been made in that case. Now, additional issues are arising from his time as coach.
“Michigan State University is under investigation for alleged National Collegiate Athletic Association recruiting violations under former football coach Mel Tucker,” said President Kevin Guskiewicz to The Detroit News on Wednesday, according to a report by Kim Kozlowski.
Guskiewicz emphasized that these alleged violations were not committed by the current coaching staff. Jonathan Smith, the new head coach, took over after the controversy surrounding Tucker unfolded.
“We’re trying to establish that this is an entirely new coaching staff,” Guskiewicz stated.
Michigan State is fully cooperating with the NCAA as they continue to probe the alleged violations. Guskiewicz is scheduled to meet with the NCAA next week to discuss the situation.
Related Michigan State Football News
Article continues below
Notre Dame quarterback Riley Leonard (13) passes as Georgia linebacker Jalon Walker (11) defends during the first quarter at Caesars Superdome.
“Michigan State athletics has worked with the NCAA to review a potential issue concerning the football program under the previous staff,” said Matt Larson, the associated athletic director, adding, “and will continue to do so throughout the investigation. NCAA rules prevent the university from providing further details at this time.”
Tucker’s time with Michigan State was marked by ups and downs. The Spartans were in a tough spot when he arrived, finishing 2-5 during his first year in the COVID-shortened season. However, he led the team to an impressive 2021 turnaround, guiding them to a 10-2 record with a victory over rival Michigan and an 11th win in the Peach Bowl.
The success of that 2021 season earned Tucker a 10-year, $95 million contract extension, but things quickly declined afterward. The Spartans struggled in 2022, finishing 5-7. Tucker was suspended at the start of the 2023 season due to the sexual harassment allegations, ultimately leading to his firing.
Jonathan Smith became the head coach of Michigan State last year, and the Spartans finished with a 5-7 record. It remains to be seen how the NCAA investigation will unfold and whether Smith and the current team will face any repercussions for the alleged violations.